26.11.07

Ducks

Went to Boston again on Sun. The other options were doing my expense
report, or doing my laundry. I coaxed myself out of the hotel with
the promise of getting the couple of groceries I needed while I was
there. (I can't wait until I can get home and Leopardize this laptop.
Blank slate, two years of binary cruft just squeegeed off. Right now
it chugs along reluctantly).

Current Inventory : Boston Duck Tour receipt, a Harvard fridge
magnet, and a Red Sox teddy bear.

I went to Back Bay this time, to check out stores like Neiman Marcus
and the rest of the pretty nice shopping district. This is in the
vicinity of the Mass State Library and the Trinity Church as well.
(Nobody seems to pronounce their way through the whole word
'Massachusetts' . I'll be watching for this next time I see a tv show
or movie set around here. ) Pics on Flickr.
I went looking for the flagship Boston Apple Store allegedly also in
this vicinity, close the Prudential building, also hoping to leech
some wifi for Google Maps. Well, said flagship store is still a
construction site. I was still not sure I hadn't just missed it,
until I noticed that someone had helpfully stuck an Apple sticker on
the metal building notification placard on the fence. I like that
there are people out there far, far nerdier than me. This also
restored my faith in Google Maps - when Google Maps on my iPod can't
find an Apple Store, I should just accept that it probably doesn't
exist (yet).

It was getting up in the afternoon so I went to the Prudential center
to book onto a Duck tour, the last of the day as it turns out
(www.ducktour.com) . You get into a 1940s all-terrain vehicle,
whimsically painted up, and you get a driver with lots of personality
giving a tour, driving you to the Bay, *into* the Bay, around the
Bay, and then back to the mall. I actually had a really good time.
The only downside was the cheesy tourist photo I picked up afterwards
(mild extortion pricing. And as usual, I look like I'm on drugs.).
Anyway, Duck tour rules. Do it.

Conserving my cash for New York next weekend, after another week at
work.

No comments: