18.4.09

Permission issues in Leopard web sharing

Midnightblue.net is down right now, so I needed to set up a staging server on Caffeine (the MacBook Pro) in order to hack away on the redesign. It needs one, I've got x number of domains, and a few different subject areas I need to break down and link to.
I did an archive and install of Leopard recently so I went to /etc/apache2/httpd.conf , enabled php5, and assumed that would pretty much be the extent of things after I enabled Web Sharing.
Not so much... Leopard doesn't copy 'username'.conf to /etc/apache2/users , so apache doesn't know that the Sites folder in the user's home directory is supposed to be visible too.

Caffeine:extra kristy$ ls /etc/apache2/users
Caffeine:extra kristy$

I found that information here at Apple, so my next step was to look in the "Previous Systems" folder that the Archive and Install left behind, and 'kristy.conf' was in /etc/apache2. It's pretty simple in case you have to create that file from scratch, looks like this-

<Directory "/Users/kristy/Sites/">
Options Indexes MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

My next step is to set up syncing of the website files via Unison to Cupcake (the Lenovo S10) and get its staging server launched. It's a strange quirk that this tiny little laptop has a 160Gig hard drive, and plenty of room to store anything I might be working on.

No comments: