17.7.06

Bags

After work on Saturday I stomped up and down Glenferrie Rd looking for a new laptop bag. I had a small Crumpler laptop backpack (Sheep Scarer) that I'd been really happy with. It can't hold a MacBook Pro though, so new bag shopping I went.
My first choice was a bigger Crumpler but as those are...not cheap... I wanted to give other bags a shot. The STM backpacks had a nice velour-lined lappy slot. I saw some other bags in the adventure gear shops.
The best camoflaged bag I saw was a Caribee Campus 30. 60 bucks and *nobody* is knocking that off looking for a laptop.  
In the end though, after seeing many many bags, I still picked the arguably overpriced Crumpler bag, a King Single backpack in Loud Red. It'll look better with some road grime (Crumplers tend to). 
It has a laptop slot, no dividers other than the fully covered lappy compartment, which actually makes for more capacity in the bag. The pockets on the front can easily hold the nalgene flask I also bought (water's important for low-carbers). 
I liked the older style backpack I had more (the Team Player was the next size up, I think?). The color of the lining on the new bag is buff, I'm not sure about that with red. The older bag has robin's egg blue lining, and matches the phone holder I just transplanted to the new bag. These sorts of things aren't dealbreakers though and having slept on it, I felt I'd made the right decision. 
These bags are cute though - www.bumbakpaks.com. If these were available, they would have made my short list! The shoulderstrap to backpack strap thing is clever! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have been using a bumbakpak for the last 6 months and I love it. Really unique looking and a conversation piece. People literally stop me in the street and ask me about it all the time. A few pull out pen and paper and ask for the name and website. This bag allows me to carry all my heavy junk (G4, ipod, 2-3 heavy textbooks, workout gear, water bottle, dvds, equipment gear, shoes, lunch, etc.) easily. The bag keeps expanding and expanding and more than that, it keeps everything organized! Best of all, my back really cannot tell I'm toting all this stuff. Gone are the small shoulder/back pains. Fantastic bag!!!!!