26.5.06

XMen 3

Verdict... *sigh*.

I know you have to make changes to make a genre work hang together on the big screen, but excising its soul is a Bad Thing.

I was happy enough with the explanation for Phoenix, but you've got this powerful being who is composed of rage and passion sitting about, and standing there looking morose, and occasionally, absently killing things with her mind. She should have been the emotional core of the film, but she wasn't, because she was played like a zombie (everyone else bored with depictions of 'possesion' in genre films? Yup) and because they lost a great opportunity when they *spoilered* *spoiler*.
And they also have her kill *spoiler*. Who really is the soul of the films, I guess, but if there'd been more emotional payoff or something I could have dealt with that, because various writers have *spoilered* *spoiler* over the years and it hasn't stuck yet.


Sigh.


At least Hugh Jackman was relatively impervious. His Wolverine is still pretty good. I liked the new additions like Beast, Angel and Shadowcat. (I think I saw Psylocke but she sort of blended into the BrotherHood Of Angry Goff Mutants).

Its not a complete waste of time, but it's not up to the previous two.

4 comments:

Lowcarb_dave said...

For 2006 Hollywood is was above average.

But 2006 Hollywood is the pits!

3/5 for me!

Anonymous said...

I was very eager to see this movie. But now that I have heard that the writer has quite ludicrously decided to kill off 2 of the most loved characters in the x-men universe (without good reason).

I mean to justify it with adding tension doesn't cut it. ala Jodd Whedon and Wash in Serenity (Still disappointed about that one). I think I will be boycotting this one till it comes out on rental DVD.

Anonymous said...

I didn't mind the movie, better than anything that was on. I gotta admit that the death of a certain someone really made me happy and anything else that happened in the movie couldn't destroy it for me. Death to all no-personality mutants!!!

Kris The Grumpy said...

Its true that you could tape some Ray-Bans on a mannequin and get the same effect as *dead guy* (I'm not dissing the actor, there's not really anywhere for his chracter to go). But he needed to be there at the end for Pheonix's sake, and if she needed to die (should have been a suicide) he should have been the one to do it.