29.1.06

The TroppoBook


iBook_dark
Originally uploaded by MidBlueMac.
Here's my iBook after I applied a flower decal over the Apple logo. My iBook's getting on a bit so I've been on the lookout for stickers for it, and I couldn't find anything that wouldn't get peeled off in a couple of days. But this is nice. Sort of a tropical theme to reflect the hot, hot summer days Melbourne has been having lately.

I've switched from coffee to tea or iced tea (mostly). It seems too hot for coffee, and tea doesn't rattle my nerves as much. And even at McDonalds, tea is served in a teapot with a jug of milk. It's a more deliberate, civilized sort of experience. The only problem is I can't drink tea without some sort of sweetener. I'll have to buy some more Stevia to carry around with me.

On that topic, weight loss continues, doing very well thank you very much.

On the job front, I'm encouraged by interest from recruiters and I'm applying for more jobs, in the likely event that the current roles I'm pursuing with them fall through.

The other thing I'm working on is swotting for my MCSE exams, I've been putting those off for an embarrassingly long time. At this stage, I have experience but not the certs, and those certs could mean the difference of about 10k in the job market. It means more flexibility too. I'd like to be able to *avoid* the sorts of jobs I've had up until now.

One could argue that doing the certifications once you *have* experience means you'll get more out of them, and God knows I need more confidence.

Without the certs, I'm doing the work of people who *did* get the certs and are getting paid more than me, and who needs that?

4 comments:

BD said...

I did find a site that made custom stickers for sticking to electrics...

Mmh. If I come accross it I shall relay.

Anonymous said...

Hey KG

Out of interest did you end up getting started on your M$ certs ?

I've recently started down the road of requalifying myself for a new job and would be interested in what you thought of the cert exams. I've been amazed how many useless features they actually test you on, features which you would never use in a million years in the real world.

Kris The Grumpy said...

I've seen similar things for iPods and plexiglass casemod windows. Surprised somebody hasn't made a sticky rainbow apple logo that's sized for the ones on the back of the laptops (I believe those cutouts are the same size across the notebooks?)

With respect to the M$ certs I've put them aside for now and I'm concentrating on Cisco CCNA and othder more work-related stuff. They're on the list but not for a few months.
Hmph. My trial version of XP Pro will probably run out by then.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the CCNA course. I can remember doing some CCNA things back at uni but gee looking at the complete course now there is just sooo much to remember. I dont use the material enough to remember it all. Unless I tend to use something on a semi regular basis my brain is like a sieve when it comes to remembering commands.

..